Monday, December 11, 2006

Packer Mania

Before I got married if someone had asked, "who is your favorite NFL football team?" I may have said Central College. HEY, college, NFL, what's the difference? I really didn't care. I live in the NOW and I live MY life. Why would I watch a bunch of guys I don't even know pummeling each other? Watching Central, on the other hand, was fun. I went to watch Dan Koskamp, #6 for the Dutch, and he was worth the watch. I didn't know it yet but I was going to marry him someday. I think the only teams I could have thought of to answer the question were, the Manilla Hawks(my high school team), the Iowa Hawkeye's, (a team I had kind of heard about since I lived in Iowa my entire life), the Green Bay Packers(a team my brother liked), and Central College(my Alma mater). You will be pleased to know that in 1983 I did marry #6 and I now know the difference between high school, college and professional football. I even understand that there are different divisions for each of these separate entities.
Dan grew up a Chicago Bears fan. Since I had no particular attachments to any team, I followed the Bears as well and I continued to be a Bears fan for over ten years. Our firstborn, Jordan, came along in 1987 and had no influence on me as far as which football team to support...not for a few years anyway. But it didn't take long. That boy was born competing and he has the ability to make anything into a competition. Jordan also has a mind of his own so why would he just automatically be a Bears fan. Jordan was a fan of whomever HE decided. It is a miracle that today he and his dad both like the Chicago Cubs.
We don't remember the exact time that Jordan's love for the Packers began, but likely between the ages of 4 and 7. When the kids were young we traveled to Grandpa and Grandma's house two or three times between September and December. Also in Manilla Iowa, lived Uncle Mike, Aunt Julie and cousins Kami and Nick. Football was always the greatest part of these visits. Watching football on the big screen TV, playing football outside every opportunity they got, and even a little indoor football, much to Grandma's horror and disapproval, was the main focus. And the only team that had any priority in Manilla was Uncle Mike's Green Bay Packers. Nick loved the Packers too. Their family had Packer jerseys, Packer footballs and even Packer tree ornaments. Jordan is an all out kind of guy so this had a big influence on him. By the time Jordan was 8, his yearly picture was Packers all the way.
My boy and I are a lot alike. Living with this kind of commitment and enthusiasm how can I be anything but a Packer fan. Like Jordan, whatever I do, I do with all my heart and living with him during the football season is a blast. Sorry Dan, but Jordan and these Packers are just too exciting.

No comments: