Sunday, December 10, 2006

The Things We "Become" for our Kids!

The things we do for our kids! Or, would it be better to say, the things we become for our kids? I like the latter. Because of my 19 year old son Jordan, who is a freshman at Bryan College in Tennessee, I had another memorable Sunday afternoon.
Jordan has been a Green Bay Packer fan since he was 7 years old and being the enthusiastic, and influential person that he is, there have been many "Packer Parties" in our home over the past twelve football seasons. Cheeseheads, green and gold streamers, food, pop, and even a life size stand up of the awesome Brett Favre, adorn our basement during the football season. When Jordan went away to Bryan we were sad, realizing that watching the Packer games would never be quite the same. Little did we know that we would find a new way to enjoy each other and the Packers. For Jordan's birthday, Dan bought him some service that enables him to hear the game on his computer. That was the best we could do unless he was fortunate enough to get the game on TV in the lounge at Bryan. But the residents of Tennessee aren't real big packer fans so not many games are on there. For the first few games of the season Jordan listened on his computer and I watched here on TV. Our Verizon family plan comes in handy for calling each other when something exciting happens.
It didn't take long before Jordan met a new lifetime friend at Bryan, Coach Don Rekoske. Coach is a BIG packer fan and he said that Jordan was welcome to come over to his house any time for any game. Coach has direct TV so the Packers are on weekly there. As Jordan would say, "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!" Jordan, of course, hasn't let coach down and now when we call back and forth I can hear coach and his family in the background. Jordan even has a cheesehead, a cheese cowboy hat and some cheese coasters on order for Coach, his wife and their two adorable kids. They are going to have a cheesy Christmas! A perfect way for Jordan to say, " thanks for hosting me."
Hey, wasn't I going to tell you about my memorable Sunday afternoon? Today, the Pack wasn't on at my house so when that happens, and it does happen, I do the unthinkable. I go over to Prime Time, a local bar and grill(shh) to watch the Packers there. At first, I was obviously alone, sitting at my own little table, with a sprite and a cell phone. I can barely choke down the sprite because it tastes like smoke. Bars are not my type of place but I am getting the hang of it. And even though the Packers are struggling this year the fans are loyal and I see about all of the same people every time. They don't care that I don't have a beer and a cigarette in my hand. I am a Packer fan and that is all that matters. Watching the Packers and being with Jordan go together and I am thankful that he thinks so too. My Sunday afternoons for these next few years are going to continue to hold precious memories.
As for the difference between doing and becoming...there are lots of things I can do for my kids and for others, but when I became a Packer fan rather then just doing the Packer thing, my relationship with my son took on a whole new meaning. 1 Corinthians 9:22b says,"I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some." Jesus didn't say, "Hey dad, I'll see ya in 33 years. I am going down to earth to do the human thing so those fools can get it." He became human. He emptied himself and became one of us. He did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped. He got into it. He died to Himself. He faced the fear and endured the pain. He won the victory for you and for me. I don't know about you, but that is a God that I want to worship, love and follow. Lord, do what ever it takes.... I desire to have your very nature....I want to BECOME like You. Amen

2 comments:

Rett said...

How you can use Packer loyalty to create an object lesson of God's love is amazing. I may not approve of the subject matter (the Packers I mean, not the bar!), thanks for sharing your love of the Lord and your love for Jordan.

Rett

Kim Pagel said...

You have become a Packer fan, Sharon has become a baseball fan, all for the love of your families. It's a beautiful metaphor for what real love does for another. God became flesh. Thanks Robin for sharing your road with us!
Kim