Sunday, December 03, 2006

The Face Of Christ

Have you ever had someone tell you that you think too much? Well, I have.
In the early 90's, when our family home schooled, we did a unit on Indian's. Everyone in our family was given an Indian name. The name had to be an accurate description of the person being named. Dan gave us our names and I was delighted when he gave me mine! It was just right for me.My name is Deep River. Dan said that it is because I am a river of ever flowing thoughts, that go far deeper than anyone would think.

I've always been a thinker. I like to think, and I don't think that one can think too much. So if anyone tells you that you think too much, go ahead and claim it.
Now, what is really cool is when someone else takes the things that I think and puts them into words. Sometimes it happens through a sermon, some times through a speaker at a retreat or a conference and sometimes in a song. There are so many thoughts that only music can corner.
I like the lyrics to the following song because the song writer thinks like I tend to think as I go about life, wondering about the lives of the people I encounter.

The Face Of Christ by chris rice

He shares a room outside with a dozen other guys
And the only roof he knows is the sometimes starry sky
A tattered sleeping bag on a concrete slab is his bed
And it's too cold to talk tonight
So I just sit with him instead and think

* How did I find myself in a better place
I can't look down on the frown on the other guy's face
'Cause when I stoop down low, look him square in the eye
I get a funny feeling, I just might be dealing
With the face of Christ

After sixteen years in a cold, gray prison yard
Somehow his heart is soft, but keeping simple faith is hard
He lays his Bible open on a table next to me
And I hear his humble prayer
I feel his longing to be free someday *

See you had no choice which day you would be born
Or the color of your skin, or the planet you'd be on
Would your mind be strong, would your eyes be blue or brown
Whether daddy would be rich, or if mama stuck around at all

Bridge:

So if you find yourself in a better place
You can't look down on the frown on the other guy's face
You gotta stoop down low, look him square in the eye
And get a funny feeling, 'cause you might be dealing..... *

These lyrics for living are a great reminder to us! We never know when we may be entertaining angels unaware or maybe even Jesus Himself!

No comments: