Sunday, December 10, 2006

The Teacher Who Couldn't Read

When the cold weather sets in, I get in the mood to read some "just for fun" books. One can only read so many "self-help" books in this lifetime!"
So I trot up the street and start digging through the books in the church library. I trot up the street because the church I attend is just one block away from where I live! (http://www.newcovenantbible.org/)
One of the books I have read recently is The Teacher Who Couldn't Read by John Corcoran. Can you imagine going through thirteen years of school, then college, and then being a High School English teacher without being able to read a single word? Amazingly, John Corcoran did that and more. I have always told my kids, there are many ways to be smart and academics is only one of them. I still stand by that.
I've never known anyone who couldn't read. It was eye opening to see what he went through. Once again, I was reminded of how I so easily misinterpret the actions and behaviors of people and how easy it is to assume that they are just plain jerks. John had to be an occasional jerk to protect himself and his secret. He lived in such fear and agony. I must remember that the next time I run into what appears to be a jerk. Every person has their journey and most of those, so called jerks, are wounded people, living in fear, protecting their hearts from more pain.
Help me, God, to look at each person through your eyes. Cause me to be thankful for the billions of blessings You lavish upon me. Thank you that I can read!!!!...a common thing and yet such a miracle. Thank you that I have true friends who know me, my weaknesses, my fears, and my secrets. Plus, they love me! And most, most, most, thank you for Jesus, my best friend..... the friend who sticks closer then all the rest. I love you God, because You loved me first.

No comments: